I'm an addict and need support
There are lots of places to go for addiction support.
There is also lots of information available to help you through the Employee Assistance Programme with Health Assured both online and via the My Healthy Advantage app.
Plus there are organisations who can help:
I know an addict, how can I support them?
Mind have some helpful tips for supporting someone with an addiction:
- Reassure them that it is OK to seek help
- Help them find out what services are available locally
- Go to appointments with them, if they would like you to. This may especially help for their first visit.
- Find ways to spend more time together. You could try joining in with any activities that they enjoy.
- Listen to them if they want to talk about their experiences or how they feel
- Try to explain how their alcohol or drug use is affecting you
The NHS also has advice for families of someone addicted to drugs.